Wednesday, January 28, 2009

So much learning going on

I have discovered that Landon learns things very quickly. Sometimes I don't even realize that he has learned something until he just randomly shows us. A couple of weeks ago I found a great site, www.letteroftheweek.com , that has some simple lesson plans for children from birth up through school age. It has simple ideas for working on the alphabet, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. Here is a picture of the first week's learning poster. The poster shows all of the things we worked on during the first week.
Landon did the coloring and the placement of stickers. To put the macaroni on the "A" I put glue all over the letter and just pointed were I wanted him to place each piece. Of course the pieces that ended up not on the letter just didn't stick. The web site also gives a great list of books that go along with the theme and so each week we make a quick trip to the local library to pick some of them up. It has really been a lot of fun.

As most of you know I have done a lot of research dealing with children with DS and their ability to read. I have made Landon a few flash card containing some of the words Landon can sign. Each day we flip through the cards a couple of times just reading the words. It is amazing what he can already read. The following clip contains Landon finding the correct shape when asked and reading a few of his first words. He was not to into reading during the whole video but I think you'll get the picture that he can read a few words. I hope you are as proud of him as we are.



Last night Landon brought Travis his alphabet train ( just a little hand made book that looks like a train and has each letter of the alphabet on a separate train car). As Travis flipped through it he was surprised at how many letters Landon knew the sound of, I must say that I was surprised as well. All I can say is "Watch out world. Landon Kerr is here!"

2 comments:

James and Laura said...

I am so impressed! Landon is so smart AND he has a very good teacher! Just watched this video a second time b/c I wanted to show James:) Keep it up, Landon!!
Love, Laura

The Milne Family said...

How exciting about his reading! I'm going to have start doing more of that with Jacob! We have flash cards with words and numbers, but we don't really "work" with them. We need to pick a play date! I would love to go to the children's museum in Richmond (or the zoo, but it's pretty cold right now!). Miss you! -Julie