Friday, September 23, 2011

The Making of the 5th Birthday Cake

The time has arrived to start working on Landon's Birthday Cake.  Wow!!  I can't believe that he is going to be 5 years old this year...Oh how the time flies by.  This year was another easy year to come up with a theme for his birthday:  Imagination Movers.  For those of you who don't know who they are, here is a quick link that tells you and little about who the movers are and what their show is like.  Landon LOVES to watch their show which includes singing, dancing, playing instruments, and NINA!!  Anyway, back to the birthday theme, The theme was easy but finding a cake idea to match was not as easy.  I finally found a cake I liked online, sorry to whoever make the cake: I can't find it again, that I thought was going to be easy to make and this is how it went:
I used a block to help me level each cake (That's what I have so that's what I use)
Travis made me a template so I could cut the cakes to look like gears
If I had been smart I would have stacked the two cakes together before cutting but I wasn't thinking that far in advance so I had to stack them and use the first cake as the template so that they would match up exactly.
Landon helped me make the icing



Icing the cake was the hardest part.  When I picked this cake I thought this would be no big deal.  Boy was I wrong.  This is the part that took the most time.  Trying to get the edges smooth was not fun.
This is the end product.  Warehouse mouse piped onto the top layer, and FYI, this was my first time ever piping ANYTHING!!  It was easier than I thought it was going to be.


I was overall pleased with the outcome.  There were a few things that bothered me such as you could see some of the "crumbs" through the icing but that comes from lack of experience and there was nothing I could do about it.  All that matter's:  Landon LOVED it!!  I could ask him, "What kind of cake do you have?" and he would say, "Movers."  I would ask him, "Who is on your cake?" and he would say, "Warehouse Mouse".  Isn't that what it's all about?

No comments: