Friday, July 9, 2010

Good nights sleep...What's that?

A good nights sleep...What's that?  At this point, I'm not really sure.  It seems like it has been forever since we have had a full nights sleep.

First, let me go ahead a say that Landon sleeps in  our bedroom.  Not in our bed, well OK, not most nights, but in our room.  His crib is set up next to our bed so that I can hear him if he has a seizure.  It's hard to describe but when he seizes he make some sort of strange sound, not loud just strange, that wakes me up.  Most people that hear this say, "why don't you just use a baby monitor in his room.?"  Well, my mind tells me the same thing but it just doesn't feel right.  I want him right there so that I can get to him.  I'm afraid that I will miss one and therefore I won't catch it as early, won't get the med. issue adjusted as early, and therefore will be the cause of any issues such as increased delay.  Most people will not understand and that's OK.  Travis and I both agree that this is where Landon needs to be so it works for us.

Now back to the full nights sleep.  He is still sleeping in the crib due to our concern for safety issues but that is about to change.  We bought a fire truck bed many months ago thinking he would just move into that when he was ready but now we have changed our minds.  Landon has been waking up EVERY night for the past several months and he have attributed that to an uncomfortable mattress.  When I went to Knoxville for a couple of weeks he slept in a "Big boy bed" and didn't wake up once.  When he does get into our bed in the middle of the night, he sleeps fine.  Now some will say that's just because he wants into our bed and normally I would say that's true but he doesn't really "wake up".  It more like he cries, or moans...really like he is just not sleeping well and uncomfortable.

Our solution?  New Big Boy Twin bed.  It is still going to be in our room so that we can keep an eye on him.  Travis is going tomorrow to order it and we are praying that this works.  I really don't know what else to do if it doesn't.

2 comments:

The Milne Family said...

I'm praying your transition goes well! Do you have a video monitor? You can do it! You can always squeeze into his bed if you have to. Well, maybe not you AND Travis, but one of you. :) Big boy beds are great!

Cathleen said...

Is he potty training or newly potty trained? Lilly woke up a lot when she was potty training because I think the awareness of listening to her body make her more conscious at night - even though she wasn't asking to go potty at night most of the time. After a few months she got used to being aware/going potty during the day but realized she didn't have to have that awareness at night (b/c we still use a nighttime pullup). Anyways, just a thought on what might be keeping him up. Hope you guys are doing well!